No matter for what purpose you plan to grow poultry - for family or for sale, you need to make a suitable barn for chickens. If you lock up the laying hens in a dark cold room, it is not worth it, hoping that you will have great benefit from them. In such a room for chickens there are no conditions conducive to the normal process of their development.
It is for this reason that it is necessary to weigh everything in advance, think it over and turn your ideas into reality. It is worth noting that this structure can be built by both skilled craftsmen and you can do this work yourself. Some may argue that the barn for chickens with their own hands is almost impossible to do. However, from this article you will learn that such work is done very simply and much cheaper than with the services of masters.
Tools and materials
In order to decide on the materials, you need to decide which barn you want to build. In this matter, you should be guided by your financial capabilities and personal convictions. For example, having built a wooden shed, you will be able to save on building walls, because building a barn of bricks or blocks would cost you a little more. However, a wooden shed for some owners is not a quality house for chickens. In any case, you need to calculate all costs and decide whether they will be appropriate.
The barn on a column base is very popular in our time. The advantage of such a barn is that it will be a reliable protection from heavy rain, predators and rodents. For this design you will need the materials listed below:
- nails and hammer;
- brick or concrete blocks;
- iron mesh;
- coal slag or expanded clay;
- roofing materials.
Choosing a site for construction
It is important to remember that rooms such as chicken coops and other sheds where animals live, always carry with them the unpleasant odors of the litter. Due to such circumstances it is strongly recommended not to construct this room near a residential building. Thus, you can avoid the discomfort associated not only with an unpleasant smell, but also with pollution near the house. It is best to build a barn behind the house. However, it is not necessary to allocate a barn a place away from home, because it can be robbed, and there is also the risk of attack by predatory animals.
Do not build a shed in the lowland, as during the seasonal rains the shed can flood, although this may not lead to the death of birds, however, the structure itself may be damaged. Therefore, we advise you to build a barn on top.
Drawings and layouts
How to make a barn for chickens? The first thing you need to do is make sketches for which work will be performed. This sketch brings with it a great benefit, because thanks to emu you will not buy extra materials, which will not be used later. What should such drawings look like? On the drawings must be the size of all parts. Thanks to this, immediately after the purchase you can cut the details of the appropriate size and equip the barn.
Remember that your drawings must contain not only the details on the shed itself, but also the materials for the cage, which will serve for the purpose of walking for chickens. This area should be fenced with an iron grid with small holes. The bottom of the net will need to be dug in, thanks to which the hens will not be able to get out, and the predators will not be able to get inside. An important is the drawing under the roof, it is recommended to do a gable, because in this way, you will have additional storage for food and other things. And the gable roof will contribute to normal ventilation in the barn.
It is necessary to plan how the litter will be removed and where to put it. Then the barn will always have a clean and pleasant look, moreover, an unpleasant smell will not stagnate in the room. In order to make it easier to clean the shed, you can indicate on the drawing that the floor will be made with a slight slant, which makes it easier for you to clean it.
Stages of work
It is very important to carry out the work in the correct sequence, because building is such a process when, completing one job, you immediately need to perform the next one. As a rule, for the construction of any building or hozblok you need to make a foundation, namely the foundation, then you can make the floor, walls and roof. Let us consider in more detail each of the upcoming stages of work, when building a barn for chickens.
- Foundation. Usually, a foundation is made when capital construction is performed on a large number of birds. If you plan to grow some chickens, then perhaps you will not need a foundation, however, you still need to make protection against predators, for this you need to reliably install iron pegs around the perimeter, deepening them into the ground. After they are fixed to them at a certain height, you need to weld the base for the walls and the floor. However, if financial opportunities allow you, then the best option would be the manufacture of a columnar foundation. In order to make it you need on each of the walls to dig parallel to each other small square holes half a meter wide, and also half a meter deep. Further, it is necessary to fill the pits with a solution of cement, sand and rubble, and then to build up columns, with the help of bricks or blocks.
- Floor. If the owners decide to keep chickens in winter, then you need to remember that the floor should be warm. Otherwise, the birds will be uncomfortable and this may affect their development. A great option would be to make a wooden floor, namely the draft and the main one. The first row of inexpensive boards is laid on the foundation, later you need to install beams that will withstand the entire structure. Between the beams you should have a small distance, which you need to fill with insulation. Thus, you can achieve high-quality insulation. Upstairs you need to nail the boards, of medium thickness, which will be the basis of the floor.
- Walls. To avoid large heat losses, we advise you not to make the walls completely clogged, it is best to make them from a bar. A warm barn for chickens is one of the most important requirements. Do not neglect them. In order to have normal ventilation in the shed, it is necessary to make windows that will contribute not only to regular ventilation of the room, but also good lighting in both winter and summer. Some may be interested in how to warm the barn for chickens? Warming of the shed is performed as follows: to the base, that is, you need to nail or twist the boards to the screws, then add insulation to the openings between the bars. The height of the walls should be no more than 180 cm.
- Roof. As mentioned above, for the shed the best option would be the construction of a gable roof. Such a roof will qualitatively protect the room from moisture and snow. And, more importantly, this roof will be a great place to store various things. Some craftsmen on such a roof make a second equipped chicken house. The ceiling of the shed should be well-insulated. To do this, you must install the flooring, fasten the beams on the ceiling, after which you need to insulate the flooring using insulation. Due to the fact that the room will be insulated from all sides, the barn for chickens for the winter will not be cold, and on warm summer days it will not be hot.
Lighting and heating shed
Many farmers know that poultry are carried only in places with normal lighting. Therefore, the lighting from the windows may not be enough for good productivity of poultry. Also, most chickens rush at night, which is why those who decided to make their own chicken coop need to think carefully about how this room will be lit. The easiest way is to conduct an electrician in a shed and hang a light bulb in it, which will not only illuminate the shed, but also generate a small amount of heat. The great advantage of building a barn on the territory of your house is that you can easily carry out the lighting in the chicken coop. After all, to put an additional wire from your home will be much easier and cheaper than to conduct individual lighting from electric poles.
Speaking of room heating. Remember that chickens can get sick if the room is not warm enough. Because of such circumstances, hens may develop improperly or even die. There are several options for heating the barn, namely:
- Natural heating.
- Oven heating.
- Infrared heaters.
Each of the above heating options has both pros and cons. Choose only you.
We are sure that the advice from this article will be practical for you. From this article, you learned how to make henhouse with your own hands. Using the tips that you have read here, your barn will be a reliable and durable home for poultry, which we wish you.