Cranberry jam for the winter is not only a tasty and healthy delicacy, but also a real cure for many ailments. And young patients, as well as adults, do not have to persuade to once again accept it.
What is useful cranberry jam
Both in the cranberry itself, and in the jam of it, there are many various organic acids, which determine its specific acidic taste with a slight bitterness. This and all the usual malic and citric acids, and more exotic benzoic and quinic acids. A lot of vitamins in it, especially vitamin C, flavonoids, pectin substances.
Drinking cranberries, including in the form of jam, can help with many infectious diseases, since it has an antimicrobial and bactericidal effect. Cranberries help with various urinary tract infections, especially with cystitis.
In addition, it can slow the development of atherosclerosis, and lowers blood sugar levels. It gently cleanses the intestines, removes a variety of toxins from the body. It can reduce the risk of caries.
And, of course, the role of cranberries in the prevention and treatment of all kinds of colds can not be overestimated.
Since the berries in their pure form contain only 26 kcal per 100 g of the product, they can also be used in a variety of diets, ensuring a comfortable weight loss program. After all, they do not contain fats at all, and carbohydrates are only 6.8 g per 100 g.
Of course, the calorie content of cranberry jam is much higher - depending on the sugar content, it can be up to 200 kcal, but jam from this berry can be made even without sugar, which diabetics and those who want to lose weight will definitely appreciate.
How to make cranberry jam
Cranberry jam can be made in several ways. But whatever method would be chosen for processing berries, you must first sort them out, removing dried or damaged specimens. Since cranberries are more often found in the wild, in swamps than in gardens, there is usually a large amount of natural garbage (twigs, mishinka) found in berries. They also need to be removed. Then the berries are thoroughly washed, replacing several times with water.
Finally, it remains only if possible to sort the cranberries according to the degree of maturity. After all, ripe cranberries are best for jam. And it is best to freeze the unripe berry or, in extreme cases, make juice from it.
Fresh cranberries, harvested in the fall, can be quite solid and contain some bitterness.
Tip! To soften this flavor, berries or pour boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or immersed in a colander in boiling water for the same period of time.
A simple recipe for cranberry jam
According to this recipe, jam for the winter is prepared in just one meal, and the berries, although soaked with sugar syrup, remain in contrast with the syrup.
It will take a little:
- 1 kg of cranberries;
- one and a half glasses of water;
- 1.5 kg of granulated sugar.
To produce cranberry jam for the winter according to this recipe is not difficult:
- Berries are sorted, washed, blanched in the usual way.
- At the same time prepare the sugar syrup, dissolving the required amount of sugar in boiling water.
- Immediately after blanching, the cranberries are poured into boiling sugar syrup and again brought to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a minimum and cook until fully cooked.
- Willingness is determined in a standard way - a drop of syrup is placed on a cold saucer. If the drop keeps the shape, then the jam is ready.
- In the process of cooking it is necessary to stir the contents and remove the foam from the workpiece.
- Jam in a hot state laid out on sterile jars and twist.
- After cooling, it can be placed in storage at any place without access to sunlight.
Cranberry Jam: A Vintage Recipe
Cranberry jam in this recipe for the winter is prepared in several stages and the berries have time to completely soak in sugar syrup. Therefore, the taste of him can be called more saturated.
Ingredients for cooking are completely identical to those listed in the previous recipe.
But the time for production according to the recipe will need some more.
- Berries are prepared in a standard way.
- Half the prescription sugar is dissolved in the full volume of water, heated to 100 ° C and the syrup is cooked for another 5-8 minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Heat is turned off and cranberries are poured into the hot syrup after blanching.
- Berries in syrup are covered with a lid and left for 8-12 hours to soak.
- After a set time, the syrup with cranberries is again heated to a boil, dissolve the remaining sugar and again set aside for 8-12 hours.
- For the third time, cranberry jam is cooked until ready. It usually takes a little time - about 20-30 minutes.
- The jam is cooled and only then laid out on dry clean cans for preservation for the winter.
- Store in a cool, darkened room.
Frozen Cranberry Jam
From the frozen cranberries prepare not less tasty and healthy jam. After all, the berry after freezing only improves its taste. No wonder they say that the cranberries should be harvested only after the snow falls.
The technology of making frozen cranberry jam is practically no different from the traditional fresh berry. The great advantage is the fact that you can create this jam literally at any time, in winter and in summer.
It is necessary only in advance, for 6-8 hours, to pull the cranberries out of the freezer and leave them for thawing in a bowl or on a tray at room temperature.Attention! To weigh the required amount of berries according to the recipe, use the already thawed cranberries.
To create additional taste to the thawed berries when cooking jam, you can add grated zest from one lemon and a pinch of vanilla per 1 kg of sugar.
Cranberry jam without cooking
Taking into account the good preservation of cranberry berries due to the presence of benzoic acid in the composition, it is often used to prepare tasty jam for the winter, in which it is not subjected to heat treatment at all. Of course, this product is the most useful, but you can only store it in the refrigerator.
- 1 kg of granulated sugar;
- 1 kg of cranberries.
And to prepare this useful product is nowhere easier:
- Berries are washed and cleaned of dirt in a standard way.
- Mix half the amount of granulated sugar and all the cranberries.
- Carefully pound the berries with sugar until smooth.
- Leave for several hours at room temperature.
- Sterilize small glass containers with lids.
- Lay out the cranberry puree with sugar on the banks, not reaching 1-2 cm to the edges of the cans.
- The remaining sugar filled cans to the top.
- Roll up and put into storage in a cold place: cellar or refrigerator.
Cranberry jam with apples and nuts
The delicacy prepared according to this recipe for the winter will impress even fans of all sorts of exotic preparations and will be able to play the role of an exquisite cure for anemia, cardiovascular diseases and avitominoza.
And its composition is very simple:
- ½ kg of apples;
- ½ kg of cranberries;
- 100 g of peeled walnuts;
- 1 cup of honey.
Making a prescription is a bit more complicated, but it does not take too much time:
- The washed cranberries are poured with a glass of water and boiled for 5 minutes after boiling.
- Berries are thrown back into a colander and, after cooling, are ground by a blender.
- Apples are freed from the core with seeds and cut into small cubes.
- Walnuts finely chopped with a knife.
- In a saucepan with a thick bottom, heat the honey to a liquid state, add apple slices there and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed cranberries, heat to boiling and boil for the same amount.
- Finally, put the nuts, cook for another 5 minutes and lay out the finished jam in small sterile jars.
- Keep the jam made according to this recipe, preferably in a cool place.
Cranberry jam "Five minutes"
In this way, it is possible to cook cranberry jam for the winter, though not in five minutes, but in literally half an hour, including all preparatory procedures.
Need to prepare:
- 1 kg of sugar;
- 1 kg of cranberries.
The manufacturing process for the recipe consists of the following steps:
- Sorted out and washed berries.
- Crush them with a blender or food processor, add the required amount of sugar.
- Stir well and heat until boiling.
- Continue to heat on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the jam into sterile containers and seal.
Cranberry jam in a multicooker
Housewives increasingly prefer to use the slow cooker to assist in the procurement for the winter of various products. And cranberry jam was no exception.
An interesting recipe will be made in a multicooker cranberry jam with oranges. For this you will need:
- 1 kg of cranberries;
- 0.5 kg of oranges;
- 1.25 kg of sugar.
The manufacturing process is not that complicated:
- Rinse cranberries and oranges, oranges additionally scald with boiling water.
- Oranges cut into slices and pull out all the bones. Grind the rest with the peel using a meat grinder or blender.
- Similarly, turn into mashed potatoes and cranberries.
- Combine orange and cranberry puree in a bowl of the slow cooker, add sugar to them and leave for half an hour.
- Stir, close the lid and turn on the "steaming" mode for 15 minutes. Attention! In the absence of such a program, use the Quenching mode for 20 minutes.
- Arrange the ready-made jam in pre-sterilized jars, roll up and put to cool under a blanket.
Cranberry Jam Sugar Free
Often, cranberry jam without sugar for the winter is made with the addition of honey. In this case, for 1 kg of cranberries, add 1 cup of honey and a little cinnamon or cloves to taste.
But you can cook cranberry jam for the winter without any additives at all, from cranberries alone. In this case, its benefits for diabetics and dieters are hard to overestimate.
The cooking process consists of the following steps.
- The berries are peeled, washed, dried on a paper napkin.
- Fill them with sterilized jars, cover with lids and put on a stand in a wide saucepan filled to half with water.
- Pot put on fire.
- Gradually, cranberries will begin to give juice and the level of fullness of cans will decrease. Then you need to fill the jars with berries.
- Repeat filling the cans with berries until the juice level reaches the neck.
- After that, sterilize the jars with berries for another 15 minutes and roll up.
Cranberry jam for the winter according to any of the above recipes will be very tasty and useful. But it should be borne in mind that cranberries without heat treatment have a peculiar flavor. Therefore, you should try several options and choose the most suitable for yourself.